Repinning advice

Travis L Gordy tgordy@horizon.hit.net
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 16:19:49 -0500

Dear list:  Next week I will put a new set of Mapes bass strings in a
1924 S&S L. Actually it is a reproducing piano (plays very well) with an
"L" plate but refinishing has covered the model info.  (Am not looking
forward to removing  the Duo-Art controls in order to get the action
out.) The piano was restrung about 15 years ago using 000 pins. (I would
have used 0000 pins.) Bass restringing is needed because some of the
pins are not tight enough to stay where they should between tunings, and
some string pairs have mismatched partials that makes tuning impossible
so have wedged off some strings.

I have had much greater success using double oversize pins for
restringing, but I hate to go 00000. I have been impressed with the
thread on using varnish but have the impression that its primary
function is to prevent stick-slip pins and give good tuning control.
Does it also provide any increased torque? If so, I would feel better
about using 0000 pins.  Before the varnish thread, I had decided I
would swab the holes with Garfields to get some swelling overnight then
repin the next day. Does anyone know if the Garfield treatment and
varnished pins is a compatible ooperation? Or should I just go with
Garfields as a pin driving fluid for 0000 pins and forget the varnish?
I have an idea I will get a variety of opinions which will be very
interesting. Frankly, I would prefer replacing string pairs as I remove
them, and pull them up to pitch before going to the next pair. I guess I
could do it that way  with Garfields as well as the varnish.

Look forward to your replys,

Travis Gordy