Two Items

Kristin Torres tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 01:08:55 -0500

Dear List

If I recall correctly, the "zapper" most of us are referring to was meant
only (IMHO) for freeing rusty let-off screws in old uprights and similar
action parts in other types of pianos as well. I believe that  somewhere
down the line some tech decided to try it on sticking flanges and may have
had some success with it but I agree with everyone that using it on flanges
is not the answer. But for the occasional upright maybe it is OK. I get good
results just heating up the rusty/stuck let-off screws using a 150 watt
soldering gun, applying just enough heat for a few seconds to free it up. As
an experiment I have tried using the same technique on sticking flanges and
while I was lucky a few times in general all it tends to do is scorch the
wood and then repinning or replacing is inevitable...

JMHO

Greg Torres
tunapiana@adisfwb.com>>
>Years ago I used an old American Flyer model train transformer. Then I
learned.  I will agree with the others who have recommended against the
"zapper" approach.