How to become a Piano Technician

Larry J Lennhoff ljl@netcom.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Sorry to bother the list with a question that is only partly on topic.
My sister, who lives in San Francisco and doesn't have net access,
is interested in becoming a piano technician.  She's thinking about
taking the Randy Potter school correspondence course.

I'm interested in what the list perceives as 'normal' ways of becoming
a piano technician.  Is a correspondence course an acceptable way to
begin?  What do people think of the Randy Potter school?  Looking
at the archives of this list, some of you seem to like it, and
no one seems to dislike it.

What are the pluses and minuses of this school compared to an
apprenticeship?  How might she find an apprenticeship in the SF
area?  Finally, what is the market like for an newly certified
piano tuner in SF?  How could she go about making contacts and networking
so as to be able to get jobs?  Are there companies that organize
piano technicians, or are most of you independent contractors?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Larry J Lennhoff