How to become a Piano Technician

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 21:33:48 +0000

> From:          Larry J Lennhoff <ljl@netcom.com>
> Subject:       How to become a Piano Technician
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Date:          Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

Larry,

Randy's course is very good.  My feeling is a combination of
apprenticeship and the Potter course.  She should call me at
650-359-4606 and I'll arrange for her to be my guest at our
monthly Piano Technicians Guild (San Francisco Chapter)meetings.
She is welcome to attend 3 meetings and then she must
join as an Associate.  Finding an established technician to
consider taking on an apprentice is difficult as we are all
busy.  My advice is to consider paying a technician, maybe by
the hour, for training in the various areas that she is working
on.  It will take about 5 years to gain some proficiency in
piano technology.  Make sure that she doesn't waste her money on
the San Francisco school.  I can give her a list of dissatisfied
former students.

Sincerely,

> Hi
>
> Sorry to bother the list with a question that is only partly on topic.
> My sister, who lives in San Francisco and doesn't have net access,
> is interested in becoming a piano technician.  She's thinking about
> taking the Randy Potter school correspondence course.
>
> I'm interested in what the list perceives as 'normal' ways of becoming
> a piano technician.  Is a correspondence course an acceptable way to
> begin?  What do people think of the Randy Potter school?  Looking
> at the archives of this list, some of you seem to like it, and
> no one seems to dislike it.
>
> What are the pluses and minuses of this school compared to an
> apprenticeship?  How might she find an apprenticeship in the SF
> area?  Finally, what is the market like for an newly certified
> piano tuner in SF?  How could she go about making contacts and networking
> so as to be able to get jobs?  Are there companies that organize
> piano technicians, or are most of you independent contractors?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> Larry J Lennhoff

ilvey
Pacifica, CA