Gold Plated Strings?

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@mail.rpa.net
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 05:01:44 -0400

>What other plating process could give this gold look to the strings? If it
was brass it would probably be black with corrosion by now. Has anyone else
encountered these pianos and does anyone know if it is really gold?
Sy:

I have encountered one, it was an upright from the late 19th Century (no
serial number in my records).  I haven't worked on it since June 87 when I
put in new hammers,butts and dampers (was a double flange system) but do
remember that the strings where gold and where not corroded.  None of the
treble wire was broken either.

Rob Edwardsen, RPT
21 Courtenay Circle
Pittsford, NY 14534-2101