Gold-Plated strings

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 07:04:14 -0700

Since I live near Philadelphia where the Schomacker company was (I've
also heard they made some in New Jersey), I see quite a few. They are
known for their cast-iron back braces in uprights, making them very
heavy. Their big advertising boast was the gold-plated strings. Yes,
these were actually electro-plated with gold. The strings themselves were
the usual steel. Schomacker claimed improved sonority, enhanced tone,
etc. In other words, they played the "golden" metaphor to the max. These
must have been gorgeous when new, but the plate was so thin it is
generally gone on the surviving instruments, except around the pins.

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA