Mystery Noise

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:51:22 -0500

Dear Friends,

Many thanks to Newton Hunt, Les Smith, Jim Bryant, Avery Todd, Greg Torres,
Jim Coleman, Sr., Eugenia Carr, Jim Birch, Lance Lafargue, Kent Swafford
and NBWW@aol.com.  Thanks to your excellent suggestions, I now have learned
the new skill of rebushing damper guide rail bushings in the piano and have
a pleased customer.  My customer was also pleased with the wealth of
technical knowledge available on this list.  You are GREAT!

Thanks!
David

At 11:06 AM 10/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>I have a mystery noise that is baffling me and irritating my customer.
>
>The mystery noise is like a rattle, and is located in the first note past
>the bass/treble break - note A#2.
 The noise is isolated to the damper
>underlever, wire and damper head.
>

>One other possibility:  This note right past the bass/treble break has the
>damper head offset quite a bit because of the plate strut. The damper guide
>rail bushing is worn out and the wire has a lot of loose play.
>
>Question:  Is it possible to rebush an individual damper guide rail bushing
>with the rail still in the piano?  Removing the guide rail and rebushing
>the entire rail is out of the question because of the quality of the
>instrument.
>
>Suggestions are welcome, and will be forwarded to my customer who is also
>on the Internet.  If you don't want your answer forwarded to my client,
>please let me know and I will respect your privacy.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri, USA