RCT first impressions

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:38:21 -0500

Well it finally came in Fedex on Tuesday late afternoon.
I got the Mercury I package which has the re-furbished Powerbook  with 100
MHz, 12 meg Ram and 750 meg hard drive.  Also the micro dock with floppy
drive did not come.  The Powerbook looks as brand new.
I have found that when it comes to me and anything that tends to be complex
it takes a while to get up to speed.  In reading the instruction manual so
much emphasis was placed on plugging in the little sentinel Eve the first
time the program run that I assumed it would not run until this was done.
My problem was that without the micro dock there was no place to plug in
this nasty little plug.
My son Joshua in the evening said why don't I try it anyway so we did.  I
found out that when Dean install the program he has already done this
procedure for you and the program can be keyed to a soft Sentinel Eve so it
runs without it from then on unless something crashes.  It only needs this
plug when first installed..
I have been using computers since the very early 80's starting with a
TRS-80 Mod III.  Through the years with that, Commodore 64, and on into the
IBM comps 286, 386, and now Pentiums I have found that I still have a lot
to learn when learning something new.  Forget what they say when they say a
Mac is easier than and PC.  Not for me.  It is still a new strange thing to
master.  I remember when I got my first SOT.  It took me weeks to learn how
to use it correctly.  When I got it updated with the Bournes pots I found
out it took a whole lot more care and time to use it  to take advantage of
the accuracy.
When I first got my SAT, before FAC, I found here was something new to
master and again weeks followed till I was comfortable with it.  The came
FAC and after I sent mine in for updating once again I had a learning time.
 Same thing now.
I took it with me on Wednesday and could not get it going at all for the
first 2 tunings.  I did get it going on my 3rd, a KG-2.  It was now
memorizing what I did right to get it to go.  Finally on Friday I learned
how to measure initial pitch before tuning.  My next project is to learn
how to do offset pitch tunings.  Yesterday I did a Gulbransen upright that
was -100c.  I tried first but gave up since I was under a time constraint
and got my SAT out of the truck and went at it .  This weekend I WILL learn
how to offset pitch.
So far I have found that the machine seems to like harder, louder blows of
the keys than I have been used to so I wore my shop ear protectors but that
is like overkill so I will find some earmuffs this weekend.  I have caught
a bad cold this week so maybe that is what is making my ears hurt.  I have
been placing the MAC on a chair to the left side of the keyboard on
verticals and inside on grand pianos.  It also seems like everyone wants to
watch especially when you are learning how to use the thing which puts a
great deal more pressure on you.
For those of you who haven't seen the RCT demonstrated the spinner has a
different color for each of the 3 functions, fine tune, pitch raise, and
measuring pitch.  This is helpful to keep letting you know where you are in
the program.  When establishing the measurements for the tuning it prompts
you what to do and if it is not satisfied with your results, too much
variance, it makes you do it again.  That means you better have quiet
during this measuring stage.  I have not struggled with the memory section
yet, included is 196 already measured tunings that can be used.  I think I
better learn how to use the machine first.  Since the only program on my
machine is the RCT suite it is really a dedicated tuner and given that, the
hard drive storage is like overkill.
So far the worst piano I have tuned was a Lowrey spinet yesterday. The
tuning came out well.  I have found that with different tuners you get
various versions of" in tune". I used to get 1 result aurally, another
result when my SOT came, and still another when FAC in the SAT came along.
So far I have found that the progression of 10ths going into the bass are
really good.  I think taking samples of 5 notes across the keyboard and at
least 3 partials from each of those is responsible for this.  The Lowrey
tuning came out well and the overall sound I would describe as brutally
honest and my description as raw. The best piano so far was the KG-2 and it
came out wonderful.  I have been using the default settings on octave
stretch, there are 10 choices, and the easy, as compared to advanced
setting on the opening screen.  As with my progression from aural, 18
years, and following on throughout the SOT's and SAT's each tuner has been
capable of finer work as I learned how to use it correctly.  Like any tool,
it means you have to learn how to use it correctly to get maximum results.
When I got this thing I tried to contact Dean for several days
unsuccessfully.  I knew he was out of town last weekend but just found out
Thursday night that it would be till next Monday so I was really sweating
with no one to ask my questions to. I got a call from Deans wife who
graciously told me what was going on and since then several e-mails and 1
call from Dean from the Carolinas letting me know he had just shipped the
dock and drive and I could get more answers next week.  I was very
impressed by his wife taking the time to call me. Good for her.
I will try to have next weeks impressions as I continue on my learning
path.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Take me through the darkness to the break of the day"