Do you know this Man ???????

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:08:51 -0700

Maxpiano wrote:

> Anyone on the list ever have a string break at the OPPOSITE end while tuning?
> .-

I replaced a string in the upper bass of a Kawai grand with a new string
made by, I think, San Francisco Pianos (David Ilvedson might remember if
they used to do bass strings?). The string broke at the back of the
hitch pin as soon as I brought it up to pitch (both eyes are still in
good shape, thanks). I seem to remember Ernie saying, "it must have been
some bad core wire". I thought it was more likely bad loop making.

There is a paragraph in the Reblitz book about how to repair a bass
string if it breaks near the hitch pin so I expect it has happened to
others, too.
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA