tangy tone

Edward Carwithen musicman@eoni.com
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 08:59:37 -0800

I need some suggestions as to how to deal with a bad sounding Bb-4.  This
is on a Chickering baby grand #3941.  It was reconditioned about 6 years
ago; new strings, new pins, Hammers look new as well.  Several notes have a
metallic sound.  I checked to see if the damper wire was somehow touching
one string, and that is not the case.  I found one string where the string
was not seated sufficiently on the stagger pin, and that helped.  But on
Bb-4 and the octave above Bb-5, there is still bad sound.  It seems to be
coming from the center string in both cases rather than the treble or bass
string.  The hammers were not hitting all the strings equally, the dstreble
string being barely struck by the edge of the hammer, but that was true of
many of the strike zones in that upper middle section, and I re-adjusted
them so that the strike area was in the center of the hammer, then reshaped
the hammer slightly so as to even out the surface of the hammer.  Still
haven't found the way to get the tone to stop sounding like an anvil.  It
appears that all of the strings are being struck together.  They come out
of an aggraffe (sp?), so I expect they are even where the hammer hits.  I
did pull up the hammer to the string and examine the sycronisity of the
hammer strike.

What else can I look for?????????????

Ed Carwithen
musicman@eoni.com