A treble in trouble

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 16:42:25 -0700

Ted - First of all, WRT the DC rods, the more wattage the better as a
rule. I say this because the 5-part system comes with one rod. You have
to choose if you want a 35W rod or a 50W rod instead of the stock 25W
rod. Beyond that, I usually find that I install multiple rods with an
average wattage of 75-100W. I don't know what humidity variations are
where you live, but that is typical for Tucson. It may well be different
for you. More important would be: Is the(are the) rod{s} controlled by a
humidistat? They better be! And is there a humidifier with the system?

If the rebuilder is picking on the DC system, it sounds like grasping at
straws. But it is worthwhile to make sure that the system is correctly
installed.

I would also take the usual steps: making sure the plate is seated on
the nosebolts, tightness of plate screws, fit of pinblock to
flange(which you already plan to check},and plate cracks. There have
been some excellent discussions on the list lately about plate cracks.

You also indicate 8 tunings to date since the rebuild. What has been the
spacing of these tunings(over what time period)? How many of those
tunings were done before the delivery of the piano? These are all
factors that may help you solve the problem.

If you are going to compare this rebuild to others by the same company,
try to figure out what factors may be different between this one and the
others you are familiar with.

Bob Anderson
Tucson,AZ