Steinway trapwork hinge pin

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:46:03 -0800

JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/27/97 4:35:00 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<On one of our D's here, the L-shaped hinge pin at the top of the damper
> pedal trapwork works itself out about once a week,>>
>
> Mark;
>   Somewhere in your past you have said something bad about S&S lyres and this
> is a manifestation of S&S gremlins getting even.  :-)
>   When I have had this trouble the easiest fix has been to take a pair of
> pliers and make tooth marks in the pin where it fits into the lever; this
> seems to be a more or less permanent fix. Alternatively you can bore a small
> hole in the end of the pin so that a small cotter key can be inserted (the
> kind that has one straight leg and one humped leg to hold onto the pin)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

If you're going to bore a hole, why not make it in the trap lever. Remove the pin and bore an appropriately sized hole
through to the pin hole then put a small machine screw in the hole so that when tightened it will press against the trap pin.
Now, reassemble the thing, put in the pin and tighten the screw. It won't come loose again. I've done this a number of times
and it's a whole lot easier than trying to bore an even tinier hole through the end of that trap pin.