A treble in trouble

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:18:01 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, ralph m martin wrote:

> When I return a piano to a customer after re-stringing, I inform them
> that it can take from one to three years for all the stretching to take
> place. At the same time I attempt to commit them to four times the first
> year and three times the second year for tuning. I'm embarassed to relate
> how very few take the advice.

Hi, Ralph,

Unfortunately, a beautifully restrung piano which sounds terrible due to
the owner's reluctance to have it tuned frequently enough during the first
couple of years, reflects poorly upon YOU! One possible approach is to ADD
the cost of four (or however many) in-home tunings in your restringing
estimate. That way you KNOW that the piano will get the attention it needs
after being restrung. For some reason, many owners seem to think that a
new, or newly-restrung piano requires LESS FREQUENT tuning than an older
one.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net