Plate break

Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:45:17 -0800

Warren,

Best of luck with an extremely difficult situation.

I strongly suspect that Cajun knowhow and good business sense will help
you and your customer reach an equitable resolution.

On the technical side, I've done all sorts of plate repairs with different
welding, epoxy, bolting, whatever techniques seemed good at the time.
My favorite is still heating the whole plate (as Danny Moore noted, to about
900 F) welding, stress relief.  Certainly, however, most of the other methods
mentioned are absolutely viable, when done competently.  (I think that
my vote would go to one of the inert gas variants, as that method so
localizes the heat that, with proper shielding, you may not have to
destring.)  Much will depend on who runs what kind of service in your
area.  Should be several good shipwrights in New Orleans...

At the risk of being accused of practicing law without a license, please allow
me to suggest that a reasonably prudent person might take Danny's legal
suggestions as a good starting point.

This is a time of much angst, great unhappiness, with much egg on, and loss
of face (if only internally).  There is no joy in Mudville.  My profound
sympathies.
I'll light an extra candle, and think good, humorous, positive thoughts in
your general direction.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley