FIRE DAMAGE 25 PIANOS !

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:45:45 -0500

Hi Marcel --

About 4 years ago a dealer I worked for received a call about a DC3
Disklavier that had been in a fire.  A technician had been asked to go look
at it right after the fire and reported that it still worked.  For some
reason, the insurance company decided it was a total loss and granted the
family enough money to replace it with a then-state-of-the-art DC3 Mark II.
 The old one was returned to the dealer where it was cleaned up and sold to
another family.  The only problem reported was that the remote control
capabilities did not work.  Since I didn't see the piano before the fire, I
don't know whether or not this was a problem because of the fire or if it
was a pre-existing condition.

About a year ago I came to another Yamaha grand (a G1R) that had been
exposed to a lot of smoke from a kitchen fire.  Don't asked what happened,
because by the time I was asked to look at it a couple of months after the
fact, there was no sign that anything had happened.  There was no hint of
the smell of smoke in the action or anywhere else for that matter.

You might want to contact the people at Customer Service at Yamaha about
your 25 charges -- they might have some insights from previous reports of
pianos near fires and I'm sure they would be interested in hearing about
what you find with your situation.  They can be contacted at 800 854 1569.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net