1886 S&S

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 05:05:12 -0500

The piano, if the case, pinblock and other parts, are in good
condition.  What is a problem is the action.  If the action is not in
good condition Then it becomes an issue of cost.

Replacement parts are available but cost 4 to 5 times as much as other
piano parts.  A set of butts for the average piano is $120.  A set of
butts for on old S&S is $456.00, plus shipping.

If you do not have extensive expereince with this instrument I would
suggest keeping your hands out of it.  They are not easy to work on and
can quickly get in way over your head.

If the piano is structureally sound then it is worth restoring, but be
advised that the cost of such restoration can be as much as a new piano.

I am now working on my second S&S upright from about 1917.  After the
first I swore dI would never do another.  SO here am I doing one.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com