pitch raises and business sources

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 01 Sep 1997 12:45:51 -0700

I originally wrote this note directly to Ralph because I had posted it
to the list about a couple of months ago.  But since He refered to it in
his last post, I thought I should repost it.

Warren
<snip>
Ralph,

The next time you have to break the bad news to someone about a pitch
raise, try this:

"Mrs. Jones your piano is 50 cents flat!  Do you want me to tune it
where it is or tune it CORRECTLY to A-440 pitch?"

Then shut up and let her think about the statement. Say nothing until
she answers, asks a question, says Hell no, or whatever.  If she asks a
question answer it and shut up again!

This does several good things for you:
1. It gives her a choice between something and something rather than
something and nothing!

2.  It tells her that you (the expert) consider it incorrect to tune the
piano flat!

3. It makes her really think about her piano.  Something she has
probably never done before!

4.  If she asks one question, 95% of the time she will buy the pitch
raise.  (Of course, don't ask if you really don't want to fool with the
darn thing :-)

Try it. You'll like it!

Warren
<unsnip> :-)