Tuning in general

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 16:29:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, David

I didn't mean to imply that I never charge for pitch raises, or that I don't
encourage regular tunings, though I doubt all of us would agree about how
many cents constitutes a pitch raise. What I was saying is that (for me) two
passes are not particularly laborious, and give me a good feel for how the
piano behaves. I use two passes for all but about 15% of my tuning, three or
more for heavy pitch raises (75-100+ cents).

Susan

>I still think a pitch raise IS extra work which should be paid
>for and it is incentive for regular service!
>
>David ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA
>

>> Hello, Jim --
>>
>> I also do two passes, most of the time, not quite so quickly as you do. (The
>> whole tuning takes me more like 90 minutes.) The first pass just isn't a big
>> deal, and it shows me how the piano reacts to change in the different areas.
>>
>> I stopped considering a pass to be a big fuss when I was a student at George
>> Brown College. Ted Sambell demonstrated pitch raising on an upright he had
>> set about 100 cents low, and did a pass, getting it to pitch, in 5 minutes
>> (timed), no muting, just pulled it up by brute strength and awkwardness
>> (NOT!!).
>>
>> After that, complaining about or charging for an extra pass seemed like
>> whining ... not that mine take 5 minutes! I think the secret is that one
>> doesn't ask for perfection the first time around. Zipppppp, Whizzzzz, etc.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Susan
>>
>> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
>> At 08:13 AM 9/1/97 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> >List;
>> > Watching the thread on tuning/pitch raises - + 2 cents, 4 cents, or
whatever
>> >within reason, has me wondering about the general system used by the
majority
>> >of those on the list.
>> >  When I tune I always go over the scale twice. Once to get it ready to tune
>> >and the second time to tune it. Total time, 45 minutes to an hour, or
>> >slightly more.
>> >  This enables me to find the problem spots and concentrate on them during
>> >the second pass.  Any 'slight' (0-6 cents) pitch discrepancy is taken
care of
>> >during the first pass,  or if I decided to leave the thing where it is at I
>> >will concentrate on other areas of the tuning.
>> >  Using this method has served me well and I was wondering if it is in line
>> >with what other techs do.  I don't think this has been discussed before, or
>> >if it has I have missed it.
>> >Just wondering.
>> > Jim Bryant (FL)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"As long as you have your feet on the ground, your head is perfectly safe in
the clouds."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant