Rubber grommets

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:04:50 -0500 (CDT)

>I have to go and replace the rubber grommets  on a late 70's Baldwin spinet.
>It has little plastic nuts on the spinet wires, then a felt washer, then the
>rubber grommets that stick into the key fork. They have hardened and are now
>clicking badly.
>
>Does anyone know the size of the plastic nut that adjusts the lost motion? -
>I haven't seen the piano for a year but I think they are about 1/4", possibly
>less. I want to be sure I have the right tools. I plan to stick a nut driver
>into a battery operated drill or screwdriver and spin the nuts off, replace
>the rubber grommets,  and then spin them back on.
>
>Anyone have a better way of changing these out?  And, -how long have you
>found that this operation to take?
>
>Thanks,
>B. Simon
>Phoenix

Rather than spin the plastic nuts on and off, you might try unhooking the
wire lifter from where it connects to the wippen.

1. Remove wire carefully from wippen and back of key
2. Silde the old grommet down and off the wire
3. Put new grommet onto wire and slide up into place
4. Connect the lifter wire to the key
5. Carefully push the lifter wire back into the wippen
6. Adjust for lost motion

I've done this job both ways and for me, it was much faster to use this
method. Figure on a couple of hours, more or less.

Good luck.

Tom Seay, RPT

Tom Seay
Piano Tech Office