shanks

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 09:43:00 -0400 (EDT)

List,

Just thought I would add a little more to this shank brew. I attended an
all day seminar back in June with David Stanwood presenting. He recommended
weighing the shanks and placing them on the stack accordingly. I just did a
random sampling on a set and found as much a .6 gr difference on the
thinned shanks, and some of the non-thinned shanks weighed the same as the
thinned. When I returned home from that seminar I weighed a set and found
some of the thinned shanks heavier than some of the non.

This certainly adds to the argument that weight will be a factor in
voicing, touch, etc. Perhaps David will chime in here with more detail. I
also found the wippens to have as much as 3 gr difference but that is
another story best told by David.

Don McKechnie
dmckech@ithaca.edu

See you in Corning!