Hammer Shank Sounds

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 00:53:35 -0500

OK Listen to how the shanks sound and group how  you like.  Then roll
them to select the straightest. Then start all over.  But the
question I want to ask is what is the ideal direction the grain
should run? Like how should you hold the baseball bat?
Does this apply to shanks?
	O f course the grand  rebuilders are sittng on the side lines on
this one.  There are simply too many geometrical considerations to
consider in the grand hammer shank to warrent dropping, rolling,
flexing, or hitting with broomsticks. Well there was at least one
grand I saw that had dowel type hammer shanks inserted into a butt
that contained the knuckle and flange.

Richard Moodini

----------
> From: Joel Rappaport <joelr@flash.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Hammer Shank Sounds
> Date: Friday, September 05, 1997 12:37 AM
>
> Was:  Re: The poor European's answer to the American piano GIANT
>
> Ralph M Martin wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andre
> >
> > I know of a few guys who when installing new shanks, drop them
> > individually on the workbench and separate them into different
pitches.
> > The high ones for the treble and very low sounds for the bass.
While this