Putting on decals

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 06:06:25 -0700

Joel,

This is exactly where I am in my mental processes right now.  I think
I'm going to suggest we take the fallboard to a professional. I am not a
refinisher beyond spot touch-up with a spray can.  I am particularly
thankful for your revelation about the problems of silicon residue
mentioned below. I work with refinishers both here and in New Orleans I
will see if either of those can do the job.  If not I will pass on it.

Thanks a lot guys,

Warren

(Comments interspersed below)

Joel Rappaport wrote:

> While reviewing the posts concerning Warren Fisher's customer who
> ordered a decal from someone else and expects Warren to put it on, it
> occurred to me that some things were not so clear even considering the
> excellent contributions about this procedure.
>
> Is this a fallboard or soundboard decal.

Fallboard.

  Is it a decal that goes
> someplace else on the case?  Surely not a soundboard decal to be
> installed on a strung piano in someone's home.  Is the piano in Warren's
> shop?

No, I will see the piano for the first time tomorrow. When she first
called, I was heading out on vacation and referred her to a N.O. tuner
who works for the dealer.  He ordered the decal.

> Assuming it is a fallboard decal, getting the new decal to stick to the
> existing finish may be tricky if the piano has been dusted with one of
> those sprays containing silicon.

I agree!

> If you sand the area, that still won't
> remove any silicon that has permeated the finish and sanding will leave
> "dust" that will still make it difficult for a decal to stick.
>
> Does the customer anticipate having the whole fallboard refinished?

She will after I talk to her.

> Spot refinishing in the immediate area of the decal may not look right.
> If it is a full fallboard refinishing job, it will look nice but be
> expensive.  A customer who may have tried to save some money by
> providing you with this one decal may be incompatible with a job of
> which you can be proud.

I agree!

> Maybe it would be best if you suggested she deal with the people from
> whom she ordered the decal (or someone else they recommend) and not get
> involved yourself.  Sounds like a disasterous situation waiting to
> happen.  But then I am not sure of all the facts here....

I competely agree with all you've said Joel, thanks for the benefit of
your experience!

Warren

--
Home of the Humor List