More on valve springs

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:43:36 -0700

I have tried the "spring" method to "restore crown" on an old upt. It
worked! The piano sounded much better after the addition of the springs.
I think I put 5 of them behind the treble bridge. A lady got rid of her
Wurlitzer grand to buy this piano from me. We're not talking high
quality instruments here, but you never know what might help until you
try. You could try this on any piano and reverse it by simply removing
the springs.

Lew Herwig told me what kind of valve spring to buy. I think it was some
model of Ford truck. When I went to the automotive parts store, they
didn't have that spring in stock, but the guy let me rummage around his
valve spring supply and I picked something that looked feasible. It
turned out that I would have preferred a stiffer spring. I tightened the
springs up all the way. Everything is intact 5 years later. There is an
article on "valve spring surgery"  in an issue of PTJ from the 60's. It
could be  tracked  down in the Journal index if anyone is interested.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ