Grand hammer shanks

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:14:17 -0700

Maybe everyone is getting tired of the hammershank discussion, but
there's one angle I haven't heard discussed. Regarding the treble strike
point: since there is flex in the shank, how much does this alter the
strike point. I have heard that Fazioli, for one, overcenters the hammer
to make up for the flex. The stiffness of the shank itself will
determine how much flex there is and how much this will offset the true
strike point. If you start changing the stiffness of the shank after the
hammer has been hung, you will change the strikepoint. No one has
addressed this issue that I've noticed, so that should be good for a few
more postings.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ