Tech/Dealer Relationship

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:01:46 -0700

Hi, John.
	If I were in your situation, I'd just let the dealer handle the
warranty repairs.  You can point it out, but unless you are authorized
to do repairs for the brand in question, you will have a hard time
getting paid.  That is, unless you can convince your client to pay you.
It doesn't look good for you to duke it out with the dealer, and it
causes unnecessary conflicts between your client and the dealer.  Try to
point out the defects with a spirit to help both the dealer and the
customer.  As a technician working for a dealer, you should try to
uphold the dealer's reputation because you are, in a sense, representing
the dealer. 	 Most "name brand" pianos are sold in reasonably good
regulation, and most reputable companies want to know if their products
have defects.  Without making a big deal about it, try to help the
customer solve the problem.  If the dampers are misregulated, and the
customer doesn't know about it, or can't tell, you can inform the dealer
and let him take care of it.  If you make the dealer look bad in the
eyes of the customer, he won't be very anxious to have you do the work.
You could conceivably find a lot wrong with new pianos, but unless you
are the authorized technician, you will create more ill-will than
necessary by pointing them out.  Why not just do the work that needs to
be done and point it out to the customer.  You'll have a customer for
life.  And next time, he/she will have you back to service it again, at
your own rate.
	One thing you have to realize is that the dealer just wants to sell
pianos.  He could care less if they are in perfect regulation.  If the
customer is happy, he is doing good business.  If it becomes known that
he is selling second rate pianos, junk, eventually his business will
suffer.  But in the meantime, its YOUR business to fix whatever needs
fixing.  Work out a congenial relationship with the dealer in question.
If you can't, don't do work for him.
	All in all, my best advice, since I work for a dealer full time, is to
work WITH him, or not at all.  Stirring up trouble over something like
shoddy prep isn't a good way to build one's own business.
	(I hope the dealer I work for isn't the one in question)
	For what it's worth, my opinion.

	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego, CA