Tech/Dealer Relationship

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

..Ed Foote said:

>     Never, Never, Never compromise your relationship with the customer !!
> Your long term job security rests with a clientele that trusts you to look
>out for their best interests, not with simplifying a dealer life by keeping
>quiet about bad work.  Your job is to make sure the customer is aware of
>their piano's needs.    If that doesn't sit well with the store, then it is a
>store/customer thing, but tough!  Maintain your integrity, standards, and
>prices.  Everything else will sort itself out around that.

..and I could not have said it better..

..i may be the new kid on the block, but your customer is your PRIMARY
concern..the dealer I work with has on more than one occasion said to me,
*ah, let that go*..it could be anything..hammers hard as nails, regulation
poor, etc...i have pointed out to him that it is cheaper to make these
corrections NOW..he knows it..it's their nature to do as little as possible
for the most return..but the first time a customer calls the store
complaining about this or that about their piano, guess who gets that
call..??..i want to AVOID that call because it puts the dealer in a bad
light and makes me now the middle man..and i HATE being the middle man..I
would rather spend a few hrs. on a piano on the dealer floor than to do the
same work in a customers home...this way the dealer AND me know what work
has been done...and when that piano gets delivered to the customer, the MOST
that should have to be done with it is the Warranty tuning, and maybe fix a
sticky key...THAT'S IT..

..the question I have to the original question is...is the work you're doing
Warranty-type work and if so, who is prepping these pianos in the first
place..??..shouldn't the person doing the prep work be doing the Warranty
work, or did I miss something..??