Foote Rattlers

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:07:43 -0700

Ed,

I have never heard a small, almost invisible or hidden crack make a
sound all through the bass that sounds like a rattle. A crack or small
separation will buzz, but not rattle.

A large separation will rattle, but it would be obvious.

The way you described it, this almost has to be something hidden on
the board, like a coin or marble or something heavy like that.

Use a strong light and a dentist's mirror and look at the ENTIRE
soundboard. Don't stop looking until you are sure you have inspected
every square millimeter of the board. You will find something. Be sure
to look under the bridge loop (between bass and treble bridge section)
and under the bridge cutouts (if any - I haven't seen a B in a while)
for a coin. They are very hard to see.

Don Mannino RPT