string squaring uprights (was http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptdigests/97/v1997

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:46:14 -0700 (PDT)

Comments interspersed, Jim --

>Susan, et al;
>In a message dated 9/12/97 11:36:33 AM, Susan wrote:
>
><<"So, first level the piano itself. Then level the strings. Then if the
>hammer still does not fit, the hammer surface is not level, so level it.">>
>
>  String leveling huh? Well Susan let's say we level the keybed. Do we
>then level the hammers to the keybed or the strings? :-)  The strings,
>after all, follow the capo bar/agraffe line and that is never level.....is
>it? Even on centerlines?

I admit to having been a bit frivolous ...

>  The important thing to string leveling, in my opinion, is the
>relationship of any given hammer to any given string combination.  Whether
>a given piano is level with the floor/earth or not.
>  Perhaps "level" is not the most correct terminology, even though we all
>use it.
>Perhaps "square" would serve us better.  Square, as in hammer is square to
>shank.
> Square as in hammer is square fore and aft as well as from side to side
>in relationship to string scale angle.  Square, as in the hammer rises
>squarely.
>Square, as in hammer crown is square with the shoulders. Perhaps with this
>"squareness" in mind we then should adjust the squarness (levelness) of
>the strings so the squared away hammer will hit the string(s)
>"Squarely"................  If we paid attention  to this "squareness" the
>strings still would not be "level" would they?

I am perfectly willing to be square if it's impossible to be on the level.
 {{{  :--> )
I think the point of the "level" approach would be to enable you to use the
little spirit level and magnet, which would indeed be handy. However, poor
quality in the piano might leave the agraffes and capo so non-level with the
keybed or the plate that the spirit level wouldn't be practical. Since I
haven't tried it, just saw it here on the list, I have no way of knowing how
often the spirit level would work well.

>Just a thought and a question.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

And why not? Your thought was superior to my flippant one, anyway.

Your true square,

Susan

--

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651

"As long as you have your feet on the ground, your head is perfectly safe in
the clouds."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant