Befuddlement- hot glue

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:32:00 -0500

----------
> From: Stephen Birkett <birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Befuddlement??? -Reply -Reply
> Date: Friday, September 12, 1997 10:36 PM
>
> Dave wrote:
> > Messy glue pots?  Try using a baby food can or soup can then
throw it a way
> > after use.  I hate clean up and this is this easiest way for me.
> >
> Small is definitely the way to go...but I would be careful about
using any
> metallic container. Hot glue should not come into contact with
metal or it
> undergoes a deliterious chemical reaction...even the metal ferrule
of a
> paint brush precludes leaving the brush standing in the glue. By
the say,
> you can purchase special glue brushes with no metal ferrule...these
can be
> left in the glue all day to no bad effect.
>
> Stephen

Hmm my teacher used a copper pot imersed in water. I assumed he
learned this from  his teachers.  So sometimes you never know who is
wrong or who is right and really when it matters.   I always used
glass because I couldn't afford copper. I guess I learned from him,
leaving the brushes in the pot and re-heating it again, and horrors,
all of the brushes had metal ferrules.
	Gee, maybe the piano supply houses should be warned about the glue
pots of "heavy spun copper" they sell.
	Just so I don't get stuck for not knowing about  hide glue, there
are three main "stages" of hot glue.  The first when the granules are
"disolved" and melted in hot water, the second when that is allowed
to cool and then reheated (with some hot water added) and the third
when that is allowed to cool and then reheated (with hot water added)
 Each has its own working viscosity and cold brittleness. Did I
mention temperature?  Each has its preferred applications. The glue
granules come in different grades.  And the water (hard, soft,
distilled) is supposed to make a difference, depending on who you
believe,  (don't ask me) The many other considerations have or are
about to be presented.

Rithichard d'glu