Steinway Creek

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:42:34 -0400 (EDT)

André,
You are at the disadvantage of not knowing what the piano sounded like before
the hammer change. Chances are that the piano belonged in the kennel not the
showroom. The dealer's expectations of new hammers correcting the problem
probably did not materialize.

This past week I had success with a 6' Baldwin which had this same section of
poor sound. By lightening the hammers (-1gr each) and thinning the shanks,
I cleared up the tone tremendously. It is still a Baldwin, but getting better.
I will next move the capstans forwards and remove lead from the front of the
key and reweight them.

A big job, but someone's gotta do it.

Jon