Dealer tech relations.

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:09:31

Greetings all,
              Its great to see so much good advice on this delicate
subject, maybe it is a sign of ptg coming of age as a professional
organisation.
  This spring I had the privilege to address the Canadian Association of
Piano Technicians on this very subject at their bi-annual convention. As a
successful dealer,rebuilder and university technician, it was thought by my
peers that I would have something to share vis a vie dealer relations.
  After much thought in the preparation for a two hour lecture, the topic
switched to proactive partnershipping. We have a golden opportunity to show
leadership in our industry,by thinking of ourselves as educators in piano
technology.
  The challenge is how do we influence, Teachers, Manufacturers,Dealers,
and our own organisation, to all play from the same sheet of music to
achive the following;
             1.  Broaden the base of music in our communities.
                 More lessons More pianos More tunings.
             2.  Better education of teachers re, regulation, voicing, and
                general maintenance.
             3.  Better education of dealers re, the above.
             4.  Better feed back to the manufacturers with regards to
problems.

  Progress will never happen if confrontation and name calling is the
method that is used. As I will be talking from many perspectives please
bear with me.
But maybe it will stimulate some positive discussion.

    As a dealership we sponser technician seminars and act as liasion with
the manufacturers that we deal with. We also issue our local techs with
items such as dip blocks and hammer blow gauges for each type of piano that
we sell, as well as ensuring that they know the specs and tolerances that
they should be using. Over the years we have built a wonderfull two way
trust that has been profitable for both parties. It has also resulted in a
higher level of service to the general consumer, a win win situation.
    Our interaction with the teacher and festival groups, has shown the
performing community on a regular basis what a well regulated and voiced
piano should be, as a result these groups are tending to be more demanding
towards quality hence more work.
    We provide all teacher groups with reprints of ptg materials re, care
of their instruments, you can verbally tell this group about regulation
many times, but it is nowhere as powerful as formal printed material.

    As a technician going to dealerships for a respected manufacturer, it
is suprising at times how ill imformed the owners are. Regulate and prep a
piano to get the maximum from it, and see how quickly it sells, sure gets
attention.
Most dealers need to be constantly reminded and educated in this area.
Sitting and talking to dealers about factory coarses, to help you do your
job quicker or better will often get their attention. After all, this will
give them bragging rights of having a factory trained tech. that will
assist in the sales area.

    As a technician in the field, I always take the time to show the
consumer the extras that I'm doing as this will slowly educate them to look
after their pianos. I also give out ptg reprints.

    I am the first to admit that a certain number of dealers will never
spend a penny on service. There is only a few solutions for these dealers.
    1.  Don't do any work for them, their reputations are not normally very
good to start with, and you may be tarred with the same brush.
    2.  Have the consumer report them to your local consumer organisation
they will slowly get the message.
    3.  You should report them to the respective manufacturer. Most of the
quality manufacturers will put the customer interest first.
    4.  Collect from the customer and have them collect from the dealer.
This type of dealer is more apt to make good this way.

   As a dealer and mfg tech I have been on the recieving end of some
horrendous technical work. It does no good to slam the idiot that was there
before you, some how we have to keep working to get them associated with
the guild to improve their work practices.

   One of our jobs as technology proffessionals is to educate, for the
benefit of the user, as well as our own self interest.

   Our first loyalty is unquestionably to the owner of the piano, and some
times we have to eat some labour time to maintain our integrity and keep a
customer, thats life.

   I hope this set of ramblings helps stimulate some discussion and ideas
for out reach, as a group we need to be more proactive.

   Walk a mile in the customers shoes and treat them the same way that you
would like to be treated.