Hide glue vs. Aliphatic

Wallace F. Wilson wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:56:01 -0400 (EDT)

However, I did learn during a visit to our Woodcraft outlet that aliphatic
has a shelf life of 2 or 3 years.  Since I buy a gallon at a time, I put it
in inexpensive secondary bottles with caps.  Handier than the little bottles
of glue you buy off the shelf where the little insert breaks off, and
cheaper!  I use one in the rebuilding shop, one in the action & small stuff
shop, and one in the travel kit.  Maybe it pays to watch those dates.  Has
anyone else info re shelf life for aliphatics?

Reference another note on this thread - I would always hang hammers with hot
hide glue - cold hide glue if caught in an emergency for one hammer.  It's
easier to work with if a change is needed, and holds extremely well.

At 09:48 9/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>With all the fact or fiction bandied about concerning animal glue, it
>seems that one HUGE benefit of the aliphatics is Consistency.  We always
>get the same properties each time we use it.  It doesn't change
>properties based on the type of pot or brush or temperature or other
>such witchcraft.
>
>Danny Moore
>Houston Chapter

Wally Wilson