More Noise on Tech/Dealer Matters

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:18:03 -0400

Sorry List --

You've probably heard plenty enough about this by now, but I am still
compelled to throw in my 2 cents deviation on this topic.

My impression was when I first moved into this area that all of the dealers
here were consistent in their sales practices.  Some of them took great
pains to prep every piano thoroughly and others were known for their lack
of interest in the fine details.

As I get to know the area dealers better, I am finding that most pianos are
sold now on a case-by-case basis, depending on how much the customer wanted
to pay for a particular product.  I have come to some high-quality
instruments that were entitled to a "courtesy tuning only" and
moderately-low quality instruments that were entitled to "the works"
depending on what the customer negotiated for included service at the time
of the sale.

If we had our way, every last piano would be fully prepped and our efforts
paid for before delivery to the customer.  But, the dealers have set up a
reality that often frustrates us and the customers.  I find it very
unfortunate........

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----------
> From: Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols <nicho@lascruces.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Tech/Dealer Response (wim)
> Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 1:43 PM
>
> Dear List, and Mr. Blees,
> 	I'm pretty sure that enough time has been wasted on this thread, but I
> feel a strong need to respond to Mr. Blees.
>
> Blees wrote:
> >I think prepping a piano is the dealer's responsibility. However there
is a
> >fine line between prepping the piano, (minor action regulation,
adjustments,
> >tuning, voicing), and warrentee work, (refitting the action, repairing
parts
> >that were broken in shipment, repinning  a whole action, or pin block).
The