No Subject

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:17:11 -0500 (CDT)

Jim,

Nope, plain and simple crush. The softer panel can't "push back" hard enough
during summer swelling to balance the pressure the denser panel produces, so
it crushes. It'll be the first to crack in winter dryness as a result. It's
a "weak link in a chain" sort of thing.

PS: My "Central West Region Idiom and Colloquialism Guide and Doorstop"
doesn't seem to make mention of the word "pooch", except in passing as a
reference to "bow-wow" level PSOs. Is there a new edition out with new
additions? <G>

Ron

At 10:58 AM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ron;
>  Yes we probably have gone over this one before but  :-)...... this
>particular split is in front of the first nose bolt in the treble section.
>The crack starts at the front of the hole and runs under the bridge to the
>front rail/belly rail.  There is no crack on the opposite side of the
>nosebolt hole in the board.  You are probably correct about the crack,or
>propensity to crack, being there before the bridge was put on, or maybe the
>clamping process cracked that section of the board.  Maybe the recent threads
>creep/glues/wood have me looking at things differently.
>  Another interesting thing on this board.  There is a pressure ridge where
>the graining in adjoining panels is severely mismatched and this ridge is
>straight 'except' in one short section where the tighter grained panel has a
>'pooch' or 'pot belly' in it.  At this point the ridge in the more loosley
>grained panel takes on the exact shape of the 'pooch' in the tighter grained
>panel.  The panels on both sides of the pressure ridge are firmly held to the
>ribs with no evidence of a pressure ridge from the bottom of the board. There
>is no ridge on the side with the tight grain and 'two' grain lines are
>affected in the loose grained panel everywhere except where the 'pooch' is
>and then almost 'four grain' lines are affected.
>  Wood creep? Glue creep? Both creep? Compression creep? Tension creep?
>  Duh :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

 Ron Nossaman