Again?

Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:01:46 -0700

pianoman wrote:

> When a maker clearly makes a product leader for the world market why must
> they stoop to use this stuff.  Why can't solid wood be used and adjust the
> price up accordingly.  People do not buy 48" pianos and higher because they
> are looking for a bargain price.  They buy them because they want a most
> excellent product.  A few dollars is not going to stop them.  When a person
> is buying high quality, why must it include PB.  Is there no hope or am I
> crazy and have this anti PB opinion alone.  This stuff should be used on
> the digital pianos where we know they are not going to last a fraction of
> the acoustic pianos' like.

James,

I'll bet if you look you'll probably find "particleboard"—actually
you’ll probably find medium density fiberboard or “MDF”—in most Yamaha
models. At least their verticals. And you’ll probably find it in most
other pianos finished with polyester. I have little personal experience
or knowledge of specific Yamaha models, but I do know how difficult it
is to get a truly flat surface on lumber core plywood or on “solid
wood.” Wood moves, even when it is cross-banded and veneered. MDF is far
more stable. Notice that Steinway doesn’t finish any of their pianos
with polyester. I have seen a few high-polish Steinways and they
definitely have a “wavy” surface. So do the Walter pianos even though
they’ve long been noted for their finishes. As long as some buyers
insist on having plastic finishes on their pianos, there will be MDF and
its cousins.

Of course, as you’ve observed, the bottom line is cost. There is a
significant difference in the ultimate cost of the two materials. One
which extends far beyond just the purchase price. There are cost savings
throughout the whole manufacturing process. Unfortunately trees don’t
come in nicely rectangular shapes. But MDF does. It’s easy to
handle—especially, it’s easy for machines to handle. It’s easy to
veneer. It’s relatively stable (assuming that you keep your factory
temperature and humidity levels reasonably stable). There is little
waste. So, who cares if it’s heavier, doesn’t hold fasteners well, chips
easily, etc., etc., etc. Apparently not the consumers.

Very few piano companies today are interested in building family
heirlooms, though most are concerned with giving value—the two concepts
are not mutually exclusive. They are mostly concerned with getting Ma
and Pa Jones to buy a new piano today. And to do that it seems that one
of the necessary requirements is that the surfaces all be flat and
glossy. In case you’ve not noticed, those flat surfaces that are
possible with MDF are pointed to by the sales folks as a definite mark
of “Quality.” I have actually heard a piano salesmen pointing out to a
potential customer that “their” pianos (and in this case it really was a
Yamaha, but it could have been any similar piano) all have beautiful,
flat surfaces—they aren’t rippled like those of the Steinway or the
Walter. The slight ripples inherent in lumber-core panel stock were
singled out as a mark of inferior quality.

Ah, well, what they don’t know—and can’t see—won’t hurt them. Right?

—ddf