Damp Action Drying

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:23:35 -0500

Well now that the name has come up, did S&S at some time really use a
wax on their bushings.  I heard a  technician claim this caused
verdigris that is common in some Steinways.
	(I still think they were sprayed with WD when it first came out.)
Richard Moody

----------
> From: Marion P Seller <mpseller@juno.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Damp Action Drying
> Date: Saturday, September 20, 1997 10:53 PM

snip.....The synthetic
> lube disolved this and dispersed same into the felt bearing.  Also
I have
> harkened to those teachers forbidding use of oils on piano part,
with the
> exception of metal-to-metal (like pedals).  Oils were said to turn
gummy
> like the animal oils used on old Steinways--which Protek seems to
be the
> only somewhat effective remedy.  Incidentally, I am just one year
younger
> than Virgil Smith--the great teacher of hi-level concert tuning.
If the
> younger technicians work into their senior years they will learn
the
> technique we older ones use.  Virgil's seminar for the local
Steinway
> dealer last year surprised those attending.
Regards,