Artur Schnabel

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:08:10 -0700

I was inspired to pull out some old Schnabel recordings after reading
Les Smith's shot last week. I became acquainted with Schnabel's work in
about 1960 via the Angel recordings that were readily available then. He
was quite a musical hero to me and several of my friends (including
piano players) who followed classical music. Needless to say, the
"overrated" remark won't pass without at least a comment.

I've just listened to the Beethoven Sonata, Op. 49 #2(which has become
current as part of the Suzuki piano literature) and the Mozart Piano
Quartet in g, K.478, both on Angel, and the Brahms Co. #2(on Pathe). It
has been a pleasant musical retrospective, and I find that it shows off
Schnabel's abilities as a solo performer, with and without orchestra,
and as a chamber music performer. The worst thing is that these records
are old and kind of beat up, but the music shines through anyway.

I guess if I had to hang an "overrated" label on a pianist, it would be
on Horowitz, because I can't ever listen to one of his recordings
without being reminded that it's HOROWITZ playing. That tends to
interfere with the music itself. So, as long as we're offering humble
opinions, that's mine.

I attended a voicing class by Horace Greeley a few years ago in which he
played excerpts from several pianists recorded at various times in
history. I thought that the Schnabel recording from the '40's was the
most musical of the selections played.

I was interested to read Robert Edwardsen's remark about the "Pearl"
label. I don't know that one. Is it old or new? I thought I knew all the
old ones. Could you pass on some information about that, Robert? (Or
anyone else who knows.)

Thanks,

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ