Capo bar noise

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 07:56:01 +0000

Greetings list,

	I'm currently working on prepping a new Baldwin L grand (6'3"), and
there is a problem with excessive high partial noise from the first
section of strings above  the agraffe section. Simply put, it is an
excessive high partial ringing that is absent in the agraffe section,
but becomes immediately apparent in the Capo bar section. This noise
is so harsh as to qualify for ear protectors on a ff blow.  It is
amplified by the front duplex section between the Capo bar and the
first plate ridge past the tuning pins, but muting this kills all
high end frequency and leaves the section lifeless. Hammers are hard,
but voicing (I've tried several approaches) only diminishes the
overall hammer volume, the amount of the high end noise remains
consistent with the overall volume of the note, either mellow, medium
or bright. This noise is also evident when the string is plucked, so
I feel hammer voicing is not the solution. I have seen this problem
before on Baldwins, but strangely enough, the identical 6'3" piano on
the sales floor exhibits none of this "noise", yet the front
duplexing section on this piano is amplifying high partials as it
should.
	I have spaced strings along the capo bar, streched
strings, seated strings, muted strings, yet everything seems to come
back to the Capo bar. Before I begin filing the Capo bar, are there
any thoughts out there regarding this or similar problems?

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.
C.A.P.T. Student
Edmonton, Canada