Yamaha reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:57:01 -0500

----------
> From: jwod@creighton.edu
> To: pianoman@inlink.com
> Subject: Yamaha
> Date: Wednesday, September 24, 1997 7:50 AM
>

> Hi, Yes, now you have my curiosity going. please tell me about his first
> piano. Did they ever build a reproducing grand?
>

>      Sincerely
>
>      Stanley Gross
>      Omaha, NE      jwod@creighton.edu
Dear Stan,
No reproducing pianos that I know of till recently.
The story goes that Yamaha had a very successful reed organ business (over
2,000 a year) until the early in the 1900 when Yamaha met a fellow named K.
Kawai who had successfully built a wooden bicycle that held up well.  At
this time also Yamaha had visited America  visiting the Mason & Hamlin and
Chickering factories. He figured that anyone who could design with that
much stability could design other things as well also.  He hired this
fellow named Kawai to design his (Yamaha's' first piano).  I read somewhere
that the first piano was turned out in 1902 although the first year in the
atlas is 1917.  The first year he built 2.  In 1904 he sent over an
instrument for the St. Louis Worlds Fair where he received an honorary
prize.  Before 1914 he was building 10,000 reed organ a year and began
producing the Butterfly brand of harmonicas.  He got a boost in sale for
these because of Hohner harmonicas were made in Germany.  Unfortunately
Torakuso died in 1916 and maybe Kawai did not get along with whoever took
over controls.  The reed organ business continued independently with pianos
until 1927 when Kawai left Yamaha to start his own company building, guess
what, pianos and reed organs).  Yamaha went through several other design
changes as they lured German engineers (Bechstein) with huge amounts of
money to redesign them again in 1930.  WW11 pretty well destroyed
everything but caused all new factories and machinery to be built which was
probably an advantage.  In 1947 the first pianos, harmonicas, and reed
organs started going again as well as the first motorcycles in 1955.
Success continues.
> James Grebe
RPT from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com