Is that plate broken?

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 17:32 -0500 (EST)

     Dear Ken and List,

     I have been following this thread with some interest as some of the
     methods for checking this plate for cracks are ones that I use in the
     aviation industry.

     I use Magnaflux to check aircraft parts (engine, transmission, landing
     gear, etc) for defects.  As I listened to the suggestion to Magnaflux
     a 6' grand plate I had to sit down and think, "with the equipment we
     have, how would I do that?"

     Let me comment on some of the problems and then make a few alternate
     suggestions.

     The limitation is the size of the magnetizing coil (24 inches) or the
     distance between the pressure heads (42 inches) on our machine.  We
     magnetize parts by two different methods and a plate of this size is
     too big.  I'm sure there are Magnaflux machines that are bigger and
     could handle it.  I'm sure you could arrange an appointment with one
     but you might stagger at the cost.

     There are two other problems with this method:

     1.  We require all parts to be bare metal, the plate would have to be
     stripped.  I suppose you could Magnaflux it with the paint on, but
     then I would not guarantee the results.

     2.  I don't know how I would demagnetize the plate.  To demagnetize
     the plate properly it would have to fit through the coil.  There are
     methods to do it after all, the US Navy demagnetizes a whole ship
     after construction before commissioning.

     I don't think Magnaflux should be the first line method for checking
     the plate.  Let me suggest 3 other non destructive crack detection
     methods that we also use in our shop:

     1.  Visual inspection with a 10X magnifying glass and bright light
     (ie. a Maglite which can focus the light beam).  This is always our
     first line of attack.  Focus on obvious stress points, weak spots,
     where strength changes because the cast thickness changes or heads off
     in a new direction.  God has made the human eye incredible just like
     our ears.  We can detect a gaps as small as 1 millionth of an inch if
     under the right conditions!  A lot of cracks are not going to escape a
     good visual inspection.

     Let me make an aside here.  We place hard paints on aircraft parts for
     two reasons; for protection and to indicate cracks.  Seldom do we find
     a crack in the metal part that did not first indicate it's presence in
     the paint.  From what I have been reading on the list about what we
     paint our plates with, a crack should be observable with the above
     method by looking for it in the paint.  CHEAPEST

     2.  Dye Penetrant inspection.  This method uses a dye that gets
     absorbed into the unseeable crack and then indicates when the
     developer is applied.  The plate is cleaned thoroughly, the dye is
     applied, the dye is cleaned off again (but the dye in the crack
     remains) and then the plate is developed.  The developer is a dry
     powdery substance that is sprayed on the plate and now sucks the
     bright red dye into it's white powder.  SMALL EXPENSE

     3.  Zyglo Penetrant inspection.  This method is a little bit more
     elaborate as it requires the penetrant and a black light (ultraviolet)
     for detection.  It uses at florescent chemical instead of dye and is
     basically the same method as number 2 above.  KIND OF EXPENSIVE

     We use these 3 methods to guarantee aircraft parts as being free of
     defect upon which people are placing their lives every day.  I know
     they work.

     A word of caution:  If you ever find what you think is a crack with
     the above methods, don't stop there.  Crack indications show up for a
     host of reasons but not all are cracks.  If you find a crack, remove
     the plate paint by desolving the paint.  Don't sand it as you can pack
     paint into a crack and cause it to stop indicating.  Removing the
     paint with strippers, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or other paint
     desolving product would be the way to go.

     Sorry this is so long.  I hope it is helpful to some.

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
     P.O. Box 248
     Waxhaw, NC  28173