Is that plate broken?

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 22:03:44 -0400

Hi Ken -

First question -- how is the tuning?  Weird question, I know ....

I remember reading in the Journal a few years back about a D that got hit
from above by a collapsed roof and surviving the blow in style.  Lost a
couple of unisons and sustained some cosmetic injuries, and that was about
all.

Then a little more than a year ago I heard from a friend about another D
that fell when the dolly under the skid broke.  The only known cushioning
it got besides the moving blankets it was wrapped in was the foot of one of
the movers, who is still out on disability.  Apparently, the overall tuning
pitch dropped 30 cents on average, and there were massive cracks in the
bellyrail.  There was probably considerably more damage, the details of
which I don't know, except that the plate seems to have survived it all.
The remains of that piano got sent back to Steinway for rebuilding, and I
have yet to hear how that one is coming along, or what other damages were
uncovered by the people there.

I guess this still doesn't answer your question about how to check for
hidden damage of the plate, but what I'm getting at is that there may be
other structural damage.  Good luck.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net