Is that plate broken?

Ken Hale kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:52:13 -0700

In Spetember of 1997, lots of people wrote regarding "Is that plate
broke":

Hi different list folks,

Thank you very much for all the posts regarding this unfortunate
Steinway. Lots of good input.

One question was aboaut the tuning, after the drop. There was nothing
out of the ordinary for this piano, which I have service for years.

I took the weekend to digest them and talked to both parties today,
the droppers and the owners.

At the moment, I am going to buy a 10X magnifying glass and take my
Maglite to the piano and go over the plate (paying close attention
to the paint), check the screws and bolts and go from there.

My understanding is that Magnaflux is not an option and that many
plates have cracks from the factory.

There is some action work to be done. Nothing that I could prove or
disprove happened in the fall, but stripped action bracket screws,
loose wooden part where the action bracket feet rest.

It ain't over yet.:-}

Thanks again, everyone!

> The plate and soundboard look OK. It is easy to see cracks in the
> soundboard, if present. There are no visible, to my eye, cracks in
> the plate.
Ken Hale, RPT
PianoDB, PianoDB95, PianoDB97

Manage your Piano Service Business