sales tax

Lwellerrpt@aol.com Lwellerrpt@aol.com
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 02:53:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/98 9:30:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Wimblees@aol.com
writes:

>  Technically, if the state in which you live charges sales tax on materials,
>  (parts, etc. ) but not service, then every little thing you "sell" a
> customer
>  has to be taxed. You will see this in the car repair busines, plummers,
>  electricians, etc.
>
>  In my business, I seldom tax anything under $50 dollars worth of material.
>  set of key tops, bridle straps, strings, etc, are all non taxed. I do
charge
>  tax on a set of hammers, a set of bass strings, a pin block, etc. These are
>  items than can easily be seperated out.
>
>  In MO, if you don't have a business licence, you don't have to get a sales
> tax
>  licence. If you  want a sales tax licence, you have to have a business
>  licence. So you can either play by the "rules", or you can cheat, (did I
say
>  that?) and get away with not colecting sales tax.
>
>  Willem Blees RPT
>  St. Louis

Wim-

About four or five years ago, I got myself a business license, a resale
number, a second phone line, put myself in the yellow pages and joined a
barter club.  Since I'm very aware of the sales tax laws, I wanted to be
'legit' expecially if I was going to be advertising (the barter club has a
national newsletter and now is online).

Sometimes I think it would be better if I had stayed invisible to the state
but I was uncomfortable with that choice.

Lisa Weller