NPM

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 20:53:53 EDT

<< "Dear Piano Owner.........(blah,blah)... ...necessary once again to make a
 small increase in our tuning fees.....however, since September is National
 Piano Month,  we'll be happy to do your tuning at the old rate,  provided
 you call us during the month of September to book your fall tuning."

Rob Stuart-Vail

Rob:

A number of years ago I tuned a piano in very good condition, tune wise,
regulation, etc. I asked who had been taking care of her piano. She mentioned
the name of a fellow Guild member, and a very good tuner. I asked why she
didn't call him. She told me she just received a post card from him informing
her he was increasing his rate. She didn't want to pay it, so she called me.

How often does the grocery store, the hardware store, the gas station, or any
other business,  advertise ahead of time that their prices are going up.  Even
if you give your customers a "break" by telling them they can still get their
piano tuned at last year's rate, you are still telling them you are raising
your fees.

My suggestion is to not advertise your rate increase. Just do it. If some one
asks, just tell them it needed to be done. Don't offer any excuses.  You are
entilted to make what you want, without explanation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis