professional, tradesman, etc long and rambling

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 19:32:21 -0500

Just wanted to share my opinions on Steve Brady's article in the Journal.
	It is my opinion that some of us really get off on what we think of
ourselves and what we like to be called or thought of.  I am married to a
chiropractic physician and in meeting some of her doctor friends I have
found that you better use the word DOCTOR in front of anything else you
call them  I have found this also true of medical doctors as well as
academic type doctors.  They feel that this is important recognition to
their hard work at attaining those letters in front of their name.
Likewise, some of us like to think of ourselves as PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE.  We
carry on our work in white shirts and ties and exude all kinds of learned
phrases as to the technical aspects of our work.  Of course there are also
those, myself included, who wear ordinary clothes so that if we have to get
on the floor under a grand it is no big deal.
	I consider myself a "grunt" tuner, nothing exceptional in skill, but
certainly well qualified to do what is necessary for the pianos' well
being.  I am no great shakes in rebuilding, or regulating actions.  What I
do, I do well but try to stay in my sphere as far as the work and quality
of work that is expected of me and I do pretty well at that.
	If a person prefers to work for "ordinary" type clients who don't expect
concert type work nor expects to work on Boseys, D's, SD-10's for
discriminating clients I do not think that makes him less of a professional
than the tuner who does do all that regularly.  Steves' friend was looking
for some kind of elusive recognition that may be there once in a while but
never regularly.  To be constantly looking for this recognition is a lesson
in futility.
	On of my main goals in life is to think of myself as a "mechanic".  I am
not a born one but I strive everyday to achieve that in my mind.  One of
the things I try to keep in my head is that everyone else's job, that I
come into contact with, is at least important as mine.  That means the
house cleaning lady who is trying to vacuum while I tune or the mailman who
gets mad if I block the mailbox in front of someone else home.
	My father  went through his life as a service person who installed and
maintained gas heating stoves, a crane operator, and a warehouseman.  His
jobs were very important to him and he did them well.  I can remember when
I was small, that many people would call him in the fall to come out and
clean and service their gas heaters.  He had a good side business at doing
this.  He did his job well and was called back to do the same, time after
time.  Isn't that what we all want to achieve.  Someone who thinks enough
of our personal integrity to do what ever job we do well and to call us
back time after time.  Does that make a tradesman any less thought of than
a person who thinks of him/her self as a professional.
	Back in the 70's I needed some roofing work done on the part of my old
house that I had my theatre pipe organ in.  You know how musical
instruments and water get together.  I looked in the YP and come across a
roofer named Raphael Cappillio.  Oh, what a name.  I called him right away
and got good vibes on the phone and he came out to look at my roof problem.
 He exhibited so much charisma that he could have charged twice as much and
got the job.  He did the roof and it was a fantastic job.  About a year
later I had another roof over my shop that needed work and I called him
again.  He explained that he was retiring from the business but would send
his son.    I let his son do the job but it wasn't near the quality that
Raphael did on the other.  The magic was gone.
	What I am trying to say is that the magic you  are able to do on someone's
piano must exude that same type of quality that , in their heart, they know
that no one else can do.  It is your enthusiasm in doing the jobs that you
do that makes the difference in your return calls and referrals.  The idea
is to encompass their opinion of your work those things that they really
don't think anyone else could accomplish.
It is, after all, your version of what the piano sounds like and to have
them believe that there may be more "professional tuners" but your work is
still unique because it was "you" who did it.  Thank you for your time.

James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
pianoman@inlink.com