Wild strings in new pianos

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:38:53 -0400

I'm posting this for a piano technician friend of mine who works on a lot
of new pianos.  He has noticed that recently many of the new, high-cost,
pianos have a lot of wild strings in the upper treble.  He has been unable
to correct this situation by the usual methods:  tapping the string at the
hitch pins and bridge pins; tapping the bridge pins, moving the string at
the V-bar, and rubbing the string along its speaking length. He's talking
upper class pianos that cost $30,000 and up.  I won't mention any names but
I'll tell you, he works on some classy pianos.  I couldn't offer any
suggestions for him but offered to post this to the pianotech list for some
possible solutions.

Any suggestions?

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL