leaving a computer on all the time...

David McCord david@gv.net
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 16:04:05 -0700

Theoretically, leaving a computer on all the time is a good idea, since on
and off is a shock to electronic components. However, as Rob has mentioned,
there are other shocks associated with leaving a computer on all the time,
such as brown outs, lightning strikes, power surges and fluctuations, etc.
Local conditions vary considerably in this respect.

I have a dozen or so Internet servers, and I leave them on 24/7. I have a
few that have not been turned off for 3 years. BUT! I use some expensive
power conditioning and UPS's (uninteruptable power supply) to keep the
power clean to these computers. Leaving these computers on all the time is
a good idea, and they will last longer because they are left on with good
power conditioning.

At home, I also leave my computer on all the time. This year so far, it has
blown a hard drive and a power supply. I use only a $45 surge strip for
this computer. That is not adequate protection. This computer would be
better off being turned off when not in use.

David