computers

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:58:56 -0400

Dick Powell wrote:

> List, I'm fairly new at all this computer business. At the end of each
> day is it best to shut down the computer , or leave it running all the
> time. I've  been told both ways , but they were novices also. I know many
> of you have been using computers for a long time & would appreciate some
> input concerning this question.
> Thanks , Dick----Louisiana

Turn off the computer!  There is less of a chance of damage and/or loss
of data if the machine is off.  Also, get a surge protector...note that
these device are not foolproof. A direct lightining hit to your power
lines won't even see the surge protector, it will fry anything connected
to the power lines...computers, TVs,VCRs. These protectors are only
reliable for small voltage spikes (or transients), not lightining.

I attended a noise abatement class when I worked for MCI (the telephone
co.). We were learning how to protect electronic equipment from
eletrical noise and lightining.  I learned that surge protectors as sold
to the public provide some protection, but are not the best thing.
Telephone companies jump through hoops trying to protect expensive
communications gear agains lighting damage.

For the best protection, unplug the computer...of course then your
date/clock gets messed up.

What do I do?  I have a surge protector on my computer's power line and
shut off the machine when it's not in use. If I storm is approaching and
I'm home, I unplug the computer.  When I go away for extended periods,
like vacations, I unplug the computer.  So what if I have to re-set the
date and time!

At other times I just "takes my chanes".
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member