Power Conditioning, UPSs (was Re: leaving a computer on all the time...)

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:21:46 -0400

Z! Reinhardt wrote:

> More details PLEASE ...!
>
> What are power conditioners?  What UPSs have you found work best?  What
> characteristics should be looked for when shopping for these devices?
> About how much should we budget for to get something that is reliable?
>
> I think many of us would like to reduce certain fears of what could happen
> to these sacred computers when the power *misbehaves.*
>
> Z! Reinhardt RPT
> Ann Arbor  MI
> diskladame@provide.net

UPS (uninterruptable power supplies) are just battery backup systems.
Normally, the batteries are on a constant charge.  When the UPS senses
an AC power loss, the batteries supply power to your computer. (You plug
the computer into the UPS)

You should use UPSs to provide enough power to save your current open
programs and then shut down the computer.  They are not meant to allow
you to use your computer during a power outage.

You need to calculate how much power your entire system comsumes.  It
may take some simple math based on the manufacturer's specs. If anyone
needs help let me know.

Once you know your system's power consumption, you must look for a UPS
that can supply the same or greater power.

POWER CONDITIONING?  Hmmm...Some UPS outputs are generated by the
batteries under all conditions, even when AC power is on. The direct
current (DC) output from the batteries is converted to alternating
current (AC) which runs the load, a computer in this case.  I won't
explain how...just trust me (please).

It would seem that the AC power output generated by the batteries would
be cleaner than the AC power directly from the mains.  However, it all
depends on the design.

NOTE: these devices are not meant for protection against transients or
lightning strikes!!!  Some may have transient protection, but NOTHING
protects against lighting!!

These devices cost hundreds of dollars, even for very small ones.  I
don't have one.  I back-up data constantly when a program is on, and
then I back up to a zip drive when I shut down. This way, if my computer
goes down, I lose little data.

Besides, I'd rather spend the bux on my 8 yr old daugher or buy parts
for my ham radio gear. Save your data often and always back-up when you
are closing for the night.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member