Steinway upright sostenuto

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:55:51 -0400

CDeets@aol.com wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I need to do some regulation work on a Steinway upright.  The sostenuto does
> not work quite right, (it holds some dampers but not all) and another
> technician told my friend that it could not be fixed (I think he didn't know
> how to fix it, or didn't want to bother).  I assume that it works like a grand
> sostenuto, but I haven't been able to find literature or reading on the
> matter, in either my Potter course manual or the Reblitz.
>
> Does anyone have the regulation sequence for a Steinway upright?  Specifically
> on the Steinway sostenuto?  I will gladly pay for postage and copying if
> someone has it handy.  I have regulated umpteen verticals, but never one with
> the sostenuto mechanism.
>
> Sincerely,
> Craig Deets
>
> Associate member, Chicago

Craig,
	Sorry I can't be of much help. I didn't even real;ize that the
sostenuto was available on some models until a couple of months ago. I'm
still waiting to encounter one. I'll let you know when I do, then you
can tell me how to regulate it.

You might try calling Steinway tech services. Thats where I'd start.

Good luck!

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH